Things to do, places to go 12.6.2007
Welcome to our Thursday rundown of what’s going on around the world.
Many or even most of these events may not be located in your hometown, but I still think it’s fun to see what’s hopping on the planet, and if you notice something that sounds like fun for your family, you can make plans for next year.
Coming up this weekend/soon:
- One of a Kind craft/art show and sale, Chicago’s Merchandise Mart, Dec 6-9.
- The First Friday art gallery stroll (plus street musicians) in Old City Philadelphia PA is going to be particularly festive this time of year. 5-9 pm Dec 7th.
- Feel festive at the Wassail Weekend in picturesque Woodstock VT Dec 7-9.
- The elephant’s story is set to music: London’s Babar Family Concert Dec 8th.
- Dance to the music at southeast Asia’s largest dance music festival, the ZoukOut Dance Festival on Sentosa Island in Singapore Dec 8th.
- Enjoy a Christmas market, Italian style at The Christmas Country market in medieval Sant’Agata Feltria Dec 8th.
- My own hometown of Austin TX offers the Trail of Lights in downtown’s Zilker Park; a mile-long lighted wonderland from 9-23 December.
- It’s the off-season, so grab major savings this time of year in thrifty New England at the Freeport, ME outlet mall stores, then investigate some local vodka makers. There are winter packages in Newport, RI as well that would work for teens (hat tip to Smarter Travel.)
Coming up later this month or in early 2008:
- San Francisco Bay Area women who blog, don’t miss the BlogHer Very Merry Holiday Meetup next Thursday, December 13th at Cafe Royale in San Francisco, 5:30-8:00 pm. It’s free but you do need to RSVP.
- The spectacular Winterfest Boat Parade (with lighted boats sailing the Intracoastal Waterway) is held in Fort Lauderdale, FL on Dec 15th.
- The three-day Trongsa festival of mask dances is held in Bhutan December 18-20, 2007.
- Celebrate Twelfth Night on London’s Bankside near the restored Globe Theater, music, theater and merriment on January 6th 2008.
- The Holiday Train Show in the New York Botanical Gardens ends January 13, 2008. From the Web site, “model trains and trolleys zip along over bridges and on winding tracks past scaled replicas of New York landmarks….favorites are the Empire State Building, Little Red Lighthouse, Brooklyn Bridge, and the borough’s own Yankee Stadium.”
- The World Buskers Festival (ten days of dynamic street performances) is held in Christchurch, New Zealand January 17-27 2008.